What is Breast Augmentation Surgery?
What is breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation surgery is a cosmetic procedure performed to increase the size, balance out the size, or otherwise improve the appearance of the breasts to the preference of the patient. Breast augmentation is done using implants (silicone or saline) or fat transfer from another part of the body.
Why do people get breast augmentation surgery?
- To address breast volume loss following pregnancy or weight loss
- To address asymmetrical breasts (when one breast is noticeably larger than the other)
- To improve overall body confidence
- To revise a previous breast augmentation
What are the different types of breast implants?
- Saline Implants
- Contents: Saltwater solution in a silicone shell
- Feel: Considered to feel less soft and more firm than silicone
- Appearance: Round and firm
- Upside: Considered to be safer if the implant ruptures; the body can absorb the saline solution safely
- Silicone Implants
- Contents: Silicone gel in a silicone shell
- Feel: Considered to feel softer and more like natural breast tissue
- Appearance: More natural curvature than saline
- Upside: Generally considered to look more “real” than saline implants
Is breast augmentation safe?
- Breast implants are medical devices required to be approved by the FDA.
- It’s important to note that breast implants are not made to last a lifetime. Most implants are approved for use for 10-20 years. So, you will need to have additional surgeries to avoid a greater risk of complications.
- Possible complications of breast augmentation with implants include pain, scar tissue, implant rupture, problems with breastfeeding, and systemic diseases.
- Visit the FDA website for a comprehensive list of possible complications associated with breast implants.
- Your surgeon should provide you with information on red flags to watch for following your breast augmentation surgery.
How much does breast augmentation cost?
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the average cost of breast augmentation surgery is $4,516. They encourage patients to weigh their chosen plastic surgeon’s experience (certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery®) and personal comfort with the individual as heavily as they do the cost of surgery. It is not common for cosmetic breast procedures to be covered by insurance plans.
What are other breast surgeries?
- Breast Reconstruction – to reconstruct the breasts after mastectomy surgery or breast injury
- Breast Lift – to address significant sagging of the breast tissue
- Breast Reduction – to reduce the overall size and weight of the breasts (often to address back pain)
Want even more pre-surgery tips? Browse the rest of our blog for empowering pre-op information, helpful advice, and tips from the pros.